Alita: Battle Angel has earned herself a solid five nominations from the Visual Effects Society. The live-action film has received nominations for the following categories:
- Outstanding Visual Effects in a Photoreal Feature
- Outstanding Animated Character in a Photoreal Feature (Alita)
- Outstanding Created Environment in a Photoreal Feature (Iron City)
- Outstanding Virtual Cinematography in a CG Project
- Outstanding Compositing in a Photoreal Feature
Alita: Battle Angel is tied for most film nominations alongside Disney’s live-action/CG adaption of The Lion King. The VES Awards will be held at The Beverly Hilton Hotel in Beverly Hills, California on January 29. Alita: Battle Angel is also on the Academy Awards shortlist for Visual Effects. The official nominations for this year’s Academy Awards (The Oscars) will be announced on Monday, January 13.
While Alita: Battle Angel “underperformed” at the box office, the film was well-received amongst viewers at the time of release. Drawing a near-cult following, Alita actress, Rosa Salazar has been campaigning for a sequel. While the campaign has somewhat gone silent, here’s to hoping these nominations and hopeful wins will push the studio to move forward with a sequel.